One of the most romantic cities in all of India, Udaipur is better known as the City of Lakes. The marble palaces, the beautiful gardens and the placid blue lakes enhance the beauty of the city. It is situated along the national Highway No. 8. It is 1900 ft. about the sea level and situated among the Aravali Hills. It was founded in 1599 AD by Maharana Udai Singh and was named by his name.
Southern Rajasthan is an important destination for rural tourism also & Udaipur with its age-old forts, palaces & relics frozen in history holds a prominent place in the world map today .A preferred Heritage destination, Udaipur, is one of the Top Five favourite Tourist spots in the World with one out of every three foreign tourists definitely visiting the city.
A rapidly growing city in India : tourism growing at a rate of 25%, Marble & Minerals at 30%, Higher education at 50% & Medical Institutions at 35% annually.
Originally intended to be an astronomical centre, it later became a monsoon palace and hunting lodge. It affords a breathtaking view of the Mewar countryside. This place is also well known for sunset view and wildlife sanctuary.
Literally meaning “Craftsmen Village” is a living ethnographic museum depicting the enormous diversities in craft, art & culture between various Indian states. Shilpgram comprises 26 huts set in 70 acres of natural surroundings at the foot of the Aravali Hills.
Sukhadia Circle’s centerpiece is a huge, graceful three-tiered fountain of scalloped dishes surmounted by a wheatear motif (symbol of properity). It was erected in 1967; a monument to Mohal Lal Sukhadia, one-Time Chief Minister of Rajasthan and a native of Udaipur. Around the fountain is a circular lake, beyond which are pleasant gardens. The young generation flock here on holidays and evenings to boat on the lake in bizarre duck-shaped pedallos and to relax with refreshments at nearby cafes.
Fateh Sagar Lake
Lake Fateh Sagar, located to the north of Lake Pichola, which is an artificial lake constructed by Maharana Jai Singh in 1678. It is dotted by hills and woodlands. There is a canal linking the two lakes via Swaroop Sagar and Rang Sagar Lake. Nehru garden in the middle of the lake was originally known as the Jag Niwas, It took three years to build and was inaugurated in 1746.
This is the largest palace complex in Rajasthan, construction of which was started by Udai Singh. This white marble architectural marvel, standing majestically on a hill is surrounded by crenellated walls. This huge edifice 30.4 meters high and 244 meters long was added on to, by later rulers, but the additions are so well planned and integrated, it is entrance to the palace is through ‘Hathi Pol’ (the Elephant Gate) along the main street of the old city, past the Jagdish temple. The ‘Bara Pol’ or Great Gate takes one into the first court leading to the Tripolia Gate which has eight carved marble Torans or archways.
One is now led to a series of courtyards, overlapping pavilion terraces, corridors and hanging gardens. Here, the eye catches the Suraj Gokhada (Balcony of the sun) where the ‘Suryavanshis’ (descendants of the Sun God) – the Maharanas of Mewar appeared before their people to sort out their problems. The Mor Chowk taked its name from the fascination colored glass mosaics of peacocks which decorate the walls.
The Chini Chitrashala is especially attractive with its blue and white ceramics while the wall paintings of Lord Krishna’s life at Bhim Vilas Palace command attention. The other palace are Dilkhush Mahal, Moti Mahal, Sheesh Mahal and Krishna Mahal. The Government Archaeological Museum in City Palace is very rich in artifacts and worth visiting.
An impressive bronze statue of Maharana Pratap on his horse, Chetak stands at the top of Moti Magri overlooking Fateh Sagar.
Local people climb the hill to pay homage to Rana Pratap and his faithful charger Chetak, who was killed in the historical battle of Haldighati. Light & sound show is worth viewing.
Shreenath Ji Nathdwara (Distance from Hotel – 40 km)
Nathdwara is a popular Hindu pilgrimage site. This is one of the most celebrated pilgrimage shrines of India, enshrining Krishna as Govardhana Giridhari. Nathdwara is situated 48-km northeast of Udaipur in Rajasthan, on the banks of the Banas River.
Nathdwara enshrines Shrinathji – an image of Krishna, which was originally enshrined at the Vraja Bhoomi at Mount Govardhana near Mathura.The name Nathdwara means ‘Gate of the Lord’. The image was brought to Mewar, for the sake of protection during the period of Aurangazeb, the Mughal monarch.
The chariot carrying the image is said to have gotten stuck here, and hence a temple was established with the permission of the then Rana of Mewar, at Nathdwara.
Nathdwara is very closely associated with the Vallabha Sampradaya of Vaishnavism. Prior to his visiting the Shrinathji shrine, Vallabhacharya is said to have described Puri, Pandharpur, Srirangam and Tirupati as four great centres of Vaishnavism, in his work ‘Tatvartha Deepa Nibhandha’.
The town is an agricultural market and has a government college affiliated with the University of Rajasthan.